Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nico Nico Douga, Jan .14, 2010 Class

Forecast
to expect
An earthquake ~ Haiti.
An earthquake hit/shook/devastated Haiti.
Thousands of people are dead or ~.
Thousands of people are dead or injured.

There are untold casualties.
My died died/passed away.

I’m sorry for your loss.
My (deepest) condolences.

She was in a coma for over 1 year.

She was on an artificial feeding machine.

It was tougher/harder on my mother.

It was harder for my mother.


afraid=scared
I’m afraid ~ snakes.
I’m afraid of snakes.

I’m afraid ~ you. = I’m worried ~ you.
I’m afraid for you. = I’m worried about you.

I’m afraid I can’t.
I’m afraid I forgot.

I’m afraid I don’t understand.


[əfré id] adj.
When someone is afraid, they feel fear.
 The woman was afraid of what she saw.

~ gives me the willies.
He gives me the willies/creeps.

He is creepy.

agree [əgríː] v.
To agree is to say “yes” or to think the same way.
 A: The food is very good in that restaurant. B: I agree with you.

I agree ~ you.
I agree with you.
I disagree ~ you.
I disagree with you.

I’m with you.
You’re preaching to the choir.= I already agree with you.

Even if I were rich I would never buy a Rolex or a Ferrari.
I can't understand why anyone would spend $10,000 on a watch.

angry (verb)
When someone is angry, they may want to speak loudly or fight.
She didn’t do her homework, so her father is angry.

I’m angry with you.
I’m angry at you.

I'm pissed! (USA) angry
I'm pissed! (UK) drunk

I’m miffed.

arrive (verb)
To arrive is to get to or reach some place.
The train finally arrived at the station.

attack (verb)
To attack is to try to fi ght or to hurt.
The dog attacked the policeman.

a bottom (noun)
The bottom is the lowest part.
The bottom of my boot has a hole.

clever (adj.)
When someone is clever, they can solve a hard puzzle or problem.
The clever man had a great idea.

cruel (adj.)0
When someone is cruel, they do bad things to hurt others.
 The cruel man kicked the dog.

finally (adv.)
If something happens finally, it happens after a long time or at the end.
 He finally crossed the finish line after five hours of running.
Finally! = (It's) about time!

No comments:

Post a Comment