Monday, April 25, 2016

(会員)2016年4月25日(月)RANDOM

Nico - April 25 2016

“bite” idioms

1a. Would you like to get a bite to eat?
1b. Would you like to grab a bite to eat?

2. bite the bullet = 我慢する 
It’s time to bite the bullet.
I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay my taxes in one payment.

3. Proverb: His bark is worse than his bite.

4. ~ bites. = ~ is bad.
That movie bites!

5. Classic idiom: to bite off more than you can chew

Ex: I bit off more than I could chew, when I agreed to translate this book.

Don’t bite off more than you can chew.

I think I bit off more than I could chew. = I agreed to try to do something that’s too difficult for me.

6. to bite sb’s head off = to get really angry at sb
The boss bit my head off for being late today.

OK! OK! I’m sorry! You don’t have to bite my head off!

7. Proverb: Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

8. to bite one’s tongue
I disagreed with him, but I decided to just bite my tongue.

9. to bite the big one    
Ex: He bit the big one.  = He died.

10. to bite the dust = to die
Queen lyric: Another one bites the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment