Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Happy New Year! First Class of the Year!

Happy New Year! First Class of the Year!
It’s time to turn over a new leaf.
Let’s stop smoking cold turkey.
How did you ring in the New Year? = How did you welcome the New Year?
What’s your New Year’s resolution?
What do you hope to ~ this year? = What do you hope to do this year?
What do you hope to accomplish this year?
成し遂げる = accomplish
an achievement = . a thing done successfully with effort, skill, or courage.
an accomplishment = something that has been achieved successfully.

sarcastic  = 皮肉的な

What an accomplishment! = often said sarcastically

I made a spelling mistake on the exam I made for my students.
It’s ironic that I made a spelling mistake on the exam I made for my students.

The Olympic swimmer drowned in his own bathtub.

“NEW” IDIOMS

1. to ring in the new year

2a. This bottle is brand new.
2b. This bottle is brand spanking new.

3. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

4. I feel like a new person/man/woman.

5. I feel like I’ve got a new lease on life. = Use it when something changes your life in a good way.

6. He’s a member of New York’s finest.  = He’s an NYC police officer.

7. He's doing something no one has done before. = He’s breaking new ground.

IRS = Internal Revenue Service (USA tax office)

8. The IRS needs new blood.

9. I just started yoga. I’m a newbie.

10. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Townshend felt revolution was pointless because whoever takes over is destined to become corrupt.
He is bound to become corrupt.
He is destined to become corrupt.

corrupt = dishonest, bad, dirty, 腐敗した

No comments:

Post a Comment