Friday, February 5, 2016

(会員) Fri, Feb. 5, 2016 - Shopping & Money Idioms

(会員) Fri, Feb. 5, 2016 - Shopping & Money Idioms

He had vaccinations.

He got vaccinated.

He’s been fussy all week.

The government imposed a negative interest rate.

They hope to stimulate the economy.

I dabble in stocks.

He has dabbled in politics.

I’ve dabbled in art.

I dabble in the stock market.

It’s cheap. = a) price is low, b) quality is low.  

It's inexpensive. = The price is low. 

You get what you pay for.

It’s unbelievably cheap. or It’s dirt cheap.

It’s expensive, but the quality is low. = It’s a rip-off.

He ripped me off. / I got ripped off.

What a rip!

It’s a good deal.

It’s a bargain.

It's a sale. / They are having a sale at Matsuzakaya.

I bought it on sale.

It was a bargain. = I paid a low price, and I’m happy.

It’s a reasonable price.

If you want to negotiate.

Could you give me a discount?


The price is $100.
Will / Would you take $80?    How about $80.

It’s highway robbery. = It’s too expensive.
It’s a steal. = It’s very cheap.

I'm broke.  
I’m flat broke.  
I’m dead broke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment