Thursday, July 5, 2012

(会員) 07月05日 初級 Level - must know idioms ​(45 minutes)


July 5th, 2012

1. to hang out with sb
I hung out with Mike yesterday.
Want to hang with me later?

Chill out!  = Calm down!

I spent the day chilling at home.

2. That has ........ with me.
That has nothing to do with me.

to have st to do with st = to have some connection with st
What does that have to do with me? = How is that related to me?
3. Wait.
“Hold on.” is more polite than “Hang on.”
Wait a second/minute/moment.
Give me a second/minute/moment.
Just a second / minute / moment.

4. to call for = to predict, to ask for
The weather forecast called for rain.

5. kind of / sort of / in a way /  in a sense
kind of  = kinda 
sort of = sorta
6. I apologize for the interruption.

7. I've never seen anything like that before.

8. in case
just in case
in the event

You should take your umbrella just in case.
You should take your umbrella in case it rains.
You should take your umbrella in the event it rains.
“Break glass in case of emergency.”

9. We have nothing in common.
We have a lot in common.
My brother and I have a lot in common.

10. I don’t know the details.
I know much about it.
X You know well about sumo.
You know a lot about sumo.
You know your sumo.
He knows his dogs.

Tell me what happened in detail.
Tell me what happened the details.

He went 1 kilometer over the speed limit.
He broke the law.
So he is in effect a criminal.

I’m opposed to nuclear energy. = I'm against nuclear energy.
I’m in favor of nuclear energy. = I'm for nuclear energy.

I agree with Tom that we.....


No comments:

Post a Comment