Tuesday, December 9, 2014

(Members Only)TUESDAY - Dec. 9, 2014 -11pm LIVE ENGLISH LESSON

She had applied for a teaching job.
a) She got past the first interview. 
to get past st = 通過する
She passed the first interview.
pass interview 合格する

Oh, great! Congrats! I guess you’re in the running!

1. to be in the running:
So far, six candidates are in the running for the job. : 今のところ、その仕事をめぐって6人が争っている。
to be in the running = to be a candidate for st

2. to give sb a run for their money = to give sb a good competition

a) Want to race?
b) Sure, but are you fast?
a) Well, I don’t if I’m as fast as you, but I’ll give you a run for your money. 

Well, I lost, but I gave him a good run for his money. 

give someone a good run for his money
接戦で(人)を苦しめる[てこずらせる]

3. to run on fumes
fumes = gas left over after the liquid is gone, like smoke
My car is almost out of gas. It’s running on fumes. 

I’m so tired. I’m just running on fumes. 
I’m so hungry. I’m just running on fumes. 

4. He is running off at the mouth.
to run off at the mouth = とめどなくしゃべる、ペラペラしゃべる、よく考えずに口走る

to put one's foot in one's mouth
to make a gaffe = to make a verbal mistake

5. to eat and run
I hate to eat and run, but I have to go. 
It’s getting late. I have to run. 
I’m late. I have to run. 

6. I had a good run. = I had some good luck!

7. to run off with sb
He ran off with his secretary. 
They ran off together and got together.
Run away with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment