Monday, October 5, 2015

(会員) Monday, Oct. 5, 2015 Lesson - Vocabulary Boost

(会員) Monday, Oct. 5, 2015 Lesson - Vocabulary Boost

1. to acquire st = to get st, to receive st, to buy st

2. awkward = socially uncomfortable or embarrassing 

It was an awkward situation. I feel awkward. 

Carrying the table by myself was awkward. 

2. a bunch of = a lot of 
a bunch or problems/questions/bananas

3. to bloom = 咲く
The flowers bloomed.   
He bloomed.

4. charity
He’s a very charitable person. 

5. to compensate for = 

I have to compensate for my lack of natural ability by studying harder.  

I have to compensate for my lack of natural ability by training harder.  

verb: compensate      …
noun: compensation 

If someone hurts you or damages your body or property, you can ask for compensation. You can ask them to compensate you. 

to compensate sb = 補償[埋め合わせ]する

compensate for ~を償う、~を相殺する

6. to deceive sb = to trick, to fool 
He deceived me. = formal 
He tricked/fooled me. 

7. to dupe sb = to easily deceive sb 

8. MORE FORMAL: to defraud sb, to swindle sb
詐欺する


No comments:

Post a Comment