Thursday, March 16, 2017

(会員) Thursday Night, March 16, 2017 - fighting words and expressions

(会員) Thursday Night, March 16, 2017 - fighting words and expressions

1. a quarrel = a fight with words only  = an argument
We had a quarrel. / We got into a quarrel.

2. a fist fight = a punching fight
We had a fist fight. / I got into a fist fight.

3. a fight  
Ex:  We had a fight. / We got into a fight.

4. to quarrel / to argue = verb for No. 1

5. a brawl = an out of control punching fight

6. a boxing match = a controlling punching contest
Ex: The boxing match turned into a bloody brawl.

7. a spat = a small minor quarrel

Expressions:
8. Let's dance!

9. to step to sb: to confront sb violently
You gonna step to me? / Are you stepping to me?

10. to pick a fight =喧嘩をうる
Are you trying to pick with me? 
Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?

11. I have a bone to pick with you.

12. Me and my brother fought like cats and dogs when we were kids.

13. My and my brother were always at each other’s throats.

14. Let’s bury the hatchet.

15. Let’s let bygones be bygones.

16. It’s water under the bridge.





No comments:

Post a Comment