Wednesday, May 27, 2009

ニコニコ動画 Beginner Lesson, May 27, 2009

Let's talk about pronunciation:
-----------------------------
Good night./ Good evening.
midnight=零時
夜中=in the middle of the night

O --> Good night.
X --> Goo night.
O --> G'night.

もっと大人になりなさい!= Grow up!

誰のせいですか?=
Whose fault is it?
Who is to blame?
Who is responsible?
--------------------
It's not my fault.
I am not to blame.
I am not responsible.
Casual: Don't look at me.
--------------------
~が怖い。
I am scared of ~.
I am afraid of ~.
I'm frightened of ~.
I am terrified of ~.
------------------
I am terribly hungry.
I am terribly sorry.
----------------------------------------
Howdo you say the following in English?
----------------------------------------
あいにく ~.
残念ながら ~.
残念ですが、~.
申し訳なく ~.
すみませんが ~.
ごめんなさい、~.
悪いけど ~.
------------------------------
All of the above can be translated into:
"I'm afraid ~ "
-------------------------------
Example sentences:
-------------------------------
悪いけどもう行かなければ。= I'm afraid I have to get going., I'm afraid I have to be going.
ごめんなさい、意味が分かりません。= I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.
すみませんが時間がないのです。= I'm afraid I don't have time.
-------------------------------
I'm afraid of you.=あなたが怖い!
I'm afraid for you.=あなたのこと心配している。
a fraidy-cat=scaredy-cat=slang for "scared person/chicken"

万引きする=to shoplift

to steal + something = He stole her money.

to rob + someone / place = He robbed the bank., She was robbed.

Someone who steals = a thief
Someone who robs = a robber
Someone who shoplifts = a shoplifter

No comments:

Post a Comment