Thursday, May 28, 2009

ニコニコ動画 Intermediate Lesson, May 28, 2009

Let Idioms by request from Kitty!
------------------------------------------
PART A
-----------------------------------------
let alone: used to connect 2 things
The first is a statement. The second thing can be assumed because of the first statement. For example, if you know I cannot read hiragana, then it is only natural that I cannot read kanji , right?
I can't read hiragana, let alone kanji.
Let's try some exercises.

Turn the following sentences into "let alone" sentences:

Example: He cannot read or write.

He can't read, let alone write.

彼は読むことも書くこともできない。

1. He can't afford a bicycle or a car.

2. He has never been out of the city or the country.

3. I would never tell my best friend or you.

4. I've never had a girlfriend or been engaged.

--------------------------------------
PART B!
--------------------------------------
Here are some very common
"LET" idioms & expressions:
--------------------------------------
1. to let sb do st=
to give sb permission to do st

Example:
My parents let me
drive when I was 16.

2. to let sb have st=
a) to allow sb to keep st

Example:
I don't want it.
You can have it.

b) to give sb st
Example:
The boss let her
have the day off.

c) to attack sb

Example:
The boss let me have
it for being late again!

3. to let sb by=
to allow sb to pass

Example:
Excuse me, do you
mind letting me by?

4. Let's let bygones be bygones.=
To forget about unpleasant things
that have happened in the past.
Example:
I'm tired of fighting. Let's just
let bygones be bygones.

5. to let sb down=
to disappoint sb
Example:
I'm sorry I let you down. I felt
a little let down by the movie.

6. to let go=to release, 離す

Example:
Let go of me!
I can't seem to let go of the past.

7. to let your guard down=
to stop being so defensive or
careful about getting attacked

Example:
Don't let your guard down
around him! He's completely untrustworthy.

8. to let one's hair down=
to relax, have fun

Example:
You need to let your hair down
once in a while and go a bit wild.

9. to let your heart rule your head=
to follow your emotion, not your logic

Example:
If you lend him money I
am sure you'll never see
it again. Don't let your
heart rule your head.

10. Let her rip! =
Let's start!

Example:
OK, boys, let her rip!

--------------------------
Answers to PART A!
--------------------------
1. He can't afford a bicycle, let alone a car.

2. He's never been out of the city, let alone the country.

3. I would never tell my best friend, let alone you.

4. I've never had a girlfriend, let alone been engaged.
--------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment