Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Advanced summer idioms:
1. When it gets too hot, some people suffer ~ and have to be taken to the hospital.

2. The metal in thermometers is called ~.

Sun idioms:
3. Make hay while the ~ shines.

4. We talked about everything! = We talked about everything under the ~.

5. Go to hell. Stick it where the ~ don't shine.

Shade idioms:
6. He is so lucky he got that job! He's got it made in the ~!

Cool idioms:
7.
A: I am so angry!
B: I understand,
but you need to ~ it.

8.
A: Want a beer?
B: No thanks. I'm ~.

9.
A: Sorry I got angry.
B: Yeah, you really lost your ~.

10. That guy is so cool. = He's as ~ as a cucumber.

11.
A: I'm so nervous.
B: Just play it ~. You'll be OK.

-------------------------

Answers:

1. heatstroke,

2. mercury

3. sun, Work while you can.

4. sun, We talked about everything.

5. sun, Go to hell.

6. He is lucky! He is set for life!

7. cool.
Cool it. = Calm down.

8. cool,
I'm cool.=No thanks.

9. cool,
to lose one's cool= to lose one's temper

10. cool,
to be as cool as a cucumber=to be very cool

11. play it cool=don't show your insecurities or problems

No comments:

Post a Comment