Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Nico Nico Douga - Gift Giving Lesson

Nico Nico Douga - Gift Giving Lesson
December 8, 2010

Watch the video as you read this!


Most common mistake.
X Present for you.

The most common word you use when you GIVE somebody something is GIVE.
Do not use PRESENT. PRESENT is formal.

When you give someone something what do you say?
"This is for you."
"I got you something."
got you --> gotcha
"Gotcha something!"
"I got you a present."
"Gotcha a present."
"I bought you something."

For stress we sometimes add "a little" to the sentence.
Like this:
"I got you a little something."

"Gotcha a little something!"
"I got you a little present."
"Gotcha a little present."
"I bought you a little something."

When Americans receive presents,they often ask, "Can I open it now."
This is just a formality. = 形式として

This is for you and your family.

This is for your kids.
This is for you and your family.

It's a souvenir.
I got you a souvenir.

This is a small token of my appreciation / gratitude / esteem / respect.

When someone gives you a present, what do you say?

Thank you so much!

You shouldn't have!
What did you do?
This is great.
I can't thank you enough.
I’ve been wanting one of these!
I wanted one of these.
Seriously?
I’m sorry. I can’t accept this.
This is too much.

I can't accept this.


You didn’t have to do this.

I’m sorry. I can’t accept this.
It's against the rules.

I’m sorry. I can’t accept this.
I don’t think of you that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment