Thursday, July 15, 2010

Must know vocabulary: The following mistake make me want to pull my hair out! Please translate the following sentences into GOOD English.

1. 何故日本に来たの?

2. 今日は凄い雨だった。

3. 雷聞いた?

4. 家族は何人?

5. 楽しかった?

OK! Next!
Super useful vocabulary that you have to know!
1. vague=曖昧
He was vague. He wasn't specific.
I was vague on purpose.
You're being a little vague.

2. sarcastic=皮肉的な
Are you being sarcastic?
Don't be sarcastic!
Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

3. hypothetical=仮定法
Can I ask you a hypothetical question?

Must know basic vocabulary:
1. to know:
2. to notice:
3. to recognize:
Don't say:
How did you know about this school?
--> How did you hear about this school?
How did you learn about this school?
How did you find out about this school?

Q. What color were her eyes?
A. I didn't notice.

I noticed her standing there all by herself.

3. He looked so different that I didn't recognize him.

ANSWERS/NOTES:

1. Why did you come to Japan?
What brought you to Japan?

2. It's really rained hard today.
It really poured today. / It was pouring today.
It really came down today. / It really came down today.
It rained cats and dogs today.

3. Did you hear the thunder?
X Did you heat the lightning?
4. How many people are in your family.
5. Did you have a good time?

RECENT NEWS:
1. election / vote
2. floods

No comments:

Post a Comment