Monday, July 12, 2010

Nico Nico Douga Lesson Sports Idioms

(There is LIVE video for this lesson. But you should read it!)
Sports English:
First! How do you use "play". "Play" is used with any sport that has games where people can get points. We can use "play" with: soccer, football, baseball, tennis, golf, hockey, etc. We do not use "play" with any fighting sports or races.
For example, we do not "play" karate, sumo, boxing, marathons, etc. For those
verbs we just say, "do", "practice," or "go."

Special cases: Some sports are games but don't take the "play" verb. Like "bowling. "We don't "play" bowling. We just "bowl."
Ex: I went bowling yesterday.

Some sports take both.
He played a game of golf.
He went golfing.

Common/standard
1. Spain beat Germany.

Common/formal
2. Spain defeated Germany.

Common/slang
3. Spain kicked Germany's ass.

When telling the score,
just add it to the end.
Spain beat Germany 1 to 0.
Spain defeated Germany 1, O.
Spain kicked Germany's ass, 1 zip.
Spain won , 1 to 0.
zip=zero
There are other words for zero.
Ex: zilch, nil

There are many sports idioms.
Let's see if you know these.
Baseball Idioms:
1. He was a big success. = He hit a ~.

2. He is going to cooperate. = He is going to play ~.

3. I went on a date and tried to kiss her, but I ~ out. (I failed.)

4. She is way too beautiful for me.=She is out of my ~.

5.
A: Want to got out tonight?
B: No thanks. I better take a ~.

Boxing Idioms:
6. He quit. = He threw in the ~.

7. Will you show the employee the ~?

8. I was going to offer to do it, but he beat me to the ~ and offered to do it first.

9. I'm on your side.=I'm in your ~.

10. He asked me an uncomfortable question, but then the phone rang! I was saved by the ~.
---------------
---------------
Answers:
---------------
---------------

1. homework

2. ball

3. struck

4. league

5. rain check

6. towel

7. ropes

8. punch

9. corner

10. bell

No comments:

Post a Comment