Monday, January 23, 2012

(会員) Notes for 初級 video lesson for January 23, 2012

There is no video for this lesson. Nico Nico Douga changed their settings and my microphone does not work with the new system. Hopefully I can have this fixed by the next lesson.

January 23, 2012
----------------
初級
MUST KNOW WORDS!

The sound is crystal clear. = great

This is as good as it gets.

It doesn't get better than this. = This is GREAT!

1. compliment=ほめることば
Thanks for the compliment.

I appreciate the compliment.

Was that supposed to be a compliment?

I'll take that as a compliment.

2. insult
He insulted me.

I was insulted.
She was insulted. = She felt insulted.
That was insulting.
This is an insult.

I didn't mean to insult you.

----------------
3. I didn't mean to VERB.
I didn't mean to be late.
I didn't mean to forget your birthday.
I didn't mean to break that.

4. compliment sb / st compliments sb's st =(A) makes (B) look better.
That color compliments your eyes.
That scarf compliments your skin.

5. complain / complaint

Stop complaining!]

Don't complain to me.

All you do is complain!

Complaining helps me relieve stress.

A: How have you been?
B: Can't complain, can't complain.
B: Things couldn't be better.
B: Things could be better.
B: To be honest, things could be better.
B: Things couldn't be worse. = Things are really bad.
-----------------

Things are very clear.=I understand.

NEWS ENGLISH!!
6. He stole money. --> He allegedly stole money.
He is the alleged leader of the Yakuza family.

7. He was arrested for VERBING.
He was arrested for killing his wife.
(Advance: He was arrested on suspicion of killing his wife.)
He was arrested for NOUN.
He was arrested for murder.

8. He committed suicide.
He committed + CRIME.
He committed a crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment