Tuesday, January 10, 2012

(会員)1月10日 英会話ライブレッスン録画 2012ーMIXED!

First watch!
(会員)1月10日 英会話ライブレッスン録画 2011ーMIXED!

-------------------------------
January 10th, 2012

Happy New Year! Lesson

Today we're going to learn expressions that we use at this time of the year.

First let's go from Japanese to English.

stomach belly tummy

1. 新年の誓い = a New Year's resolution

What's your New Year's resolution?
to keep a resolution to break a resolution


2. ~を決定した = SB decided to VERB

I've decided to VERB.

I've decided to lose weight.


3. 体を鍛える = to get in shape
I've decided to get in shape.


4. to be resolved or determined to VERB《be ~》~することを固く決心[決意]している

I'm determined to VERB.


5. たばこをやめる = stop smoking
I'm determined to stop smoking.


6. 動詞 + つもりです
I will VERB.
I will lose weight.
I will stop smoking.
I will study English more.

Let's review!
What is the difference between WISH and HOPE?


7. "Hope" is used for something that is possible.
I hope you have a nice day.
I hope I pass the test.
I hope I can lose weight.

"Wish" is used for impossible things and set phrases.
Examples of set phrases:
We wish you a Merry Christmas!
We wish you the best of luck.
I wish you best.

Examples of impossible situations:
I am not old enough. I wish I were older. or I wish I were old enough.
I am not young. I wish I were young.
I'm miserable. I wish I was dead.
I am not rich. I wish I were rich.
I envy you. I wish I were you.


New Year's Idioms:
8. to ring in the New Year = to spend New Year's Eve and watch the New Year come in
How did you ring in the new year?


9. to turn over a new leaf = to quit bad habits & begin good habits
I'm turning over a new leaf.
I've decided to turn over a new leaf and exercise every day.
I've decided to turn over a new leaf and stop smoking.


How about some THUMB idioms?


10. He thumbed / leafed through the book.


11. He thumbed a ride.
to successfully hitch hike = to thumb a ride


12. He thumbed his nose up at me.


13. I have a green thumb.


14. When it comes to cooking I'm all thumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment