Thursday, April 12, 2012

(会員) 4月11日 Fun Idioms!

Watch!

(会員) 4月11日 Fun Idioms!
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1334267900
-----------------------
April 11, 2012
WORK!
1. to put/keep/have one's nose to the grindstone: to work very hard
Just keep your nose the grindstone, and you'll be fine.
The deadline is next week so I've got to put my nose the grindstone.

ANGER!
2. to bite someone's head off: to criticize sb too much or unfairly
OK! OK! I get it! I'm sorry! You don't have to bite my head off!

FEAR/NERVOUSNESS!
3. the heebie-jeebies: a creepy feeling
I hate talking to him. He gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Walking in the cemetery gives me the heebie-jeebies.

PATIENCE!
4. to keep one's shirt on: to calm down and wait
SENTENCE + already
Keep your shirt on! Stop shouting! I'm coming already!

STRICT!
5. to crack the whip: to be strict and make people work
Everyone at work is pretty friendly, but every once in a while the boss has to crack the whip.

CHOICES!
6. The ball is in your court.= It's up to you to do something.

7. to be out of touch: a) to have no idea what is happening in the world these days
b) to no longer speak with someone
a) A lot of people think that politicians are out of touch with regular people.
b) My high school friend and I have been out of touch for over 20 years.

RELATED:
8. to keep/stay in touch: to talk to someone sometimes
Good to meet you. Please keep/stay in touch!

9. to get in touch with sb: to call or contact someone
I'm trying to get in touch with my old coworker.
I can't get in touch with my friend.
He didn't get in touch with me.

10. to lose touch (with sb): to stop talking to someone gradually
We lost touch after I moved away.


BONUS:
Crime Idiom:
11. to be in cahoots with sb=to be planning sb bad with sb
Those two criminals are working together. = They are in cahoots.

No comments:

Post a Comment