Tuesday, March 18, 2014

(会員)March 3, 2014 - bone & body idioms

(会員)March 3, 2014 - bone & body idioms
1. to bone up on = to brush up on
I have not studied Japanese history in a long time, so I need to bone up on my Japanese history.

2. to have a bone to pick with sb
I have a bone to pick with you.
Maria, I have a bone to pick with you about last month's report. : マリア、先月のレポートのことでちょっと言いたいことがあるんだ。

3. cut someone to the bone (人)の骨身にこたえる、(人)の骨までしゃぶる、(人)の気持ちを深く傷つける
That comment really cut me to the bone.

4. to chill sb to the bone
The wind chilled me to the bone.
Her comment chilled me to the bone.

5. to be skin and bones
You are skin and bones.
He is skin and bones.

6. to work one's fingers to the bone
= to work very very hard
He worked his fingers to the bone.

7. to feel sb in one's bones
I feel it in my bones. = I am sure.
勘で分かる
He is lying. I feel it in my bones.

8. sb does not have a 形容詞 bone in his body
He does not have a cruel bone in his body.
He does not have a jealous bone in his body.

9. bare-bones
It's a bare-bones operation.
a skeleton staff

10. dry as a bone = bone dry
My glass is dry as a bone.
I'm bone dry. = I'm really thirsty.

11. a bone of contention




No comments:

Post a Comment