Sunday, November 9, 2014

(会員)11月4日(火)23:00 ~ 英会話生放送レッスン - expressions

(会員)11月4日(火)23:00 ~ 英会話生放送レッスン - expressions

I got stuck working late.

I got stuck talking to the boss.

I got stuck babysitting.

I got stuck with the my sister’s kids.

I got stuck at work.

to rest on one’s laurels = 現在の栄光に満足する

Sony started resting on their laurels (and got lazy). This gave Samsung a chance to take over the
market.

Something is lacking.

You should get back to (the) basics.

Back to the drawingboard.

I want to turn over a new leaf.

to wipe the slate clean

juvenile =過去を清算する、新たに出直す、新しく出発する、もう一度初めからやり直す、
負債を片付ける、負債のない状態から出直す、水に流す◆【直訳】石板をきれいに拭く

Idioms related to mistakes:

to bark up the wrong tree = to be chasing something in the wrong place

to back the wrong horse = to support the wrong person.

I botched things. ヘマをする

The doctor botched the operation.

The doctor botched the abortion.

a Freudian slip

He made a Freudian slip.

to make a gaffe = to say st by accident

to put one’s foot in one’s mouth.   

I put my foot in my mouth.

“the douche of Cambridge.”

No comments:

Post a Comment