Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tuesday, Jan. 20th! Let's boost your vocabulary!

Pre-lesson words:
------------------------------
blood pressure

systolic
diastolic 
------------------------------
1. a blunder
a really big mistake

I have to pay for my mistake.
I have to pay for my blunder.

to blunder around = to move awkwardly not cooly

He blundered around in the dark.

He beat me to the platform. 

2.  felt a bit foolish/  sheepish.

3. What a SNAFU!

There was a reservation SNAFU. 

There was an editing SNAFU. 

4. schedule

Q: Are you busy tomorrow?  
A: Yes, I have plans. 

Yes, I'm scheduled to VERB.

I have a pretty tight schedule this week. 

I'll try to fit you into my schedule tomorrow. 
I'll try to squeeze you into my schedule tomorrow. 
Can you squeeze me into your schedule tomorrow?

5. to jump the shark
Twin Peaks was a great show until it jumped the shark in the last season. 

to jump the shark = when a TV show becomes unbelievable 

6. 好きでもきらいでもない。
I’m indifferent.
I can take it or leave it. 
I didn’t really follow the show. 

I never really watched that show. 

7. ascertain (verb) = to find out for sure.
We think we know the cause of the accident. We are trying to ascertain the cause of the accident now. 


8. a pharmacy = a drugstore = a chemist
a pharmacist = a person who works in a drugstore 


No comments:

Post a Comment