Saturday, May 6, 2017

(会員) Saturday Night Lesson 11pm - Mixed [Details]

(会員) Saturday Night Lesson 11pm - Mixed

[Details]

Nico - May 6, 2016

buy idioms:
1. buy st = a) to pay money for st, b) to believe st

I don't buy that.   
I’d buy that.
Do you expect me to buy that?  = Do you expect me to believe that?, I don’t find that believable.

2. to buy sb st
Can I buy you dinner?
My parents bought me a birthday present.

3. to buy sb off = to bribe sb (bribe = 賄賂)
He bought off the police.
He paid off the police.

4. He bought it! = He died.
He bought the big one. 
He bought the farm.

To die, especially in combat; most likely from the idea that a dead soldier's death benefit would help pay off his family's mortgage.

5. Proverb: Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

6. Proverb: Money can’t buy happiness.

Joke: Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.

7. to buy st for a song = to buy st for a low price

8. to buy st to go = to get some take-out
I’m going to buy a pizza to go. =
I’m going to get a pizza to go.

9. to buy a round (of drinks)
I’ll get the first round, and you get the second round.

I’ll buy the first round, and you can get the next round.

to stockpile, to hoard, to buy up = 買いだめ

11. He bought it sight unseen.= He bought it without looking at it.

12. (Let the) buyer beware.














No comments:

Post a Comment