Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nico Nico Douga Oct. 22, 2009 Advanced

It's a living.=Good answer when someone asks you if you like your job.
A: Do you like your job?
B: It's a living!

to make a life for oneself = to have a life
He made a life for himself in America.
She made a life for herself as a singer.

to make a living = to have a job that pays the bills
She can't make a living on her salary.
He made a living as a musician.

a lifesaver=sb who is very helpful
You're a lifesaver!

to bet one's life on st
You can bet your life on it.

a fact of life
It's a fact of life.

a matter of life and death
It's a matter of life and death.

to get a new lease on life = to be refreshed, to feel reborn
I survived the car accident. I feel like a got a new lease on life!

all walks of life=from all over the world, all ages, etc.

People from all walks of life enjoy the park.
People from all walks of life live there.

to be larger than life
He's larger than life.=He's got a loud personality.

for the life of me = stressor
I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this.

Get a life!=Mind your own business.
Stop asking such nosy questions! Get a life!

You have no life!=Your life is meaningless!

to scare the life out of sb = to scare sb very much
You scared the life out of me!

to hang on for near life = to hang on with all my might=to hang on with all one's strength
I hung on for near life, but I fell off the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment