Wednesday, October 20, 2010

ニコニコ動画-Beginner - Advanced-Decisions, Oct. 20, 2010

1. to decide to do st
I decided to buy a new car.

2. to decide on st
I decided on a new car.

3. decide (up) on someone or something

4. decide between (someone and someone else)
and decide between (something and something else)

5. decide against / for someone or something

6. to pull some strings
I want my son to get into a very exclusive school, so I called my friend – who works there at the school – and I asked him for a favor. = I pulled some strings.

8. to go through channels:
If you got through the right
channels you should be able
to get your son into the school.
9. to abide by a decision

10. to make up one’s mind

12. to change one’s mind
He changes his mind again
and again. He’s very fickle.

He flip flopped on his decision.

13. The ~ is out.

14. The ~ is still out.

15. to think twice about st

16. up to (someone) to
decide/do (something)
- to be responsible to
choose or decide something
It's up to you to decide what you want to do.
It is up to the company
president to decide when
the meeting will start.

17. to think something through
I haven’t really thought it through.

18. an impulse decision

19. a half-baked decision=
a decision that hasn’t been
thought through completely


Answers:
For this lesson, we didn't really have a quiz. We just talked about these expressions, explained them, and made sample sentences...
13. The jury is still out.

No comments:

Post a Comment