Wednesday, November 28, 2012

(会員)11月27日 (火曜日) Mixed - More HEALTH idioms

(会員)11月27日 (火曜日) Mixed - More HEALTH idioms


I’m still a little under the weather.

I have a stuffy nose.

My ears are stuffed.

I’m stuffed.

sinus pressure-副鼻腔の圧迫感

to get sick
- to become ill
I got sick yesterday and did not go to the movie. 

to get well
- to become well / healthy again
Joe was sick, but he's getting better.
Don't come to work until you are completely well.

I'm going to work.

I'm in good shape.
My grandfather is in very good shape.
I’m in good shape for the test.

in the pink
- in very good health
My grandmother is in the pink and is doing very well. 

catch a cold
- to get a cold
I caught a cold last week and had to miss four days of work. 

come down with (something)
- to become sick with something, to catch an illness
My niece came down with a cold and was unable to visit me last week. 

check-up
- an examination of a patient by a doctor
I plan to have my annual check-up next week. 

I'm going for my check-up Friday.
I have a check-up Friday.

get a checkup
- to receive a physical examination from a doctor
I go to the doctor every year to get a checkup. 
I'm going to get a check-up Friday.

back on one's feet
- physically healthy again
My dad is back on his ~ after being sick for 2 weeks.
feet

black-and-blue
- bruised, showing signs of having been physically harmed
My arm was black-and-blue after falling down the stairs. 

get a black eye
- to get a bruise or darkened eye after being hit or after bumping into something
The boy got a black eye when he fell in the playground. 

black out
- to lose consciousness, to faint, to pass out
The football player blacked out after being hit by the other player. 
He drank too much and blacked out.



The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment