Sunday, June 23, 2013

(会員)2013年6月22日(土曜日) 22:30 英会話ライブレッスンMixed Useful Vocabulary LONG lesson!

(会員)2013年6月22日(土曜日) 22:30 英会話ライブレッスンMixed Useful Vocabulary LONG lesson!
Part 1 & 2!

June 22, 2013
Vocabulary for all levels:
1. I have been busy with work.
1. I have been busy at work.

I have been busy with my family.
X I have been busy at my family.

2. I have a knot in my back.
My shoulders are stiff.

3. I have a cramp in my leg.

4. いくらだった?
How much was it?
How much did it cost?
How much did it cost you?
If it was something expensive we can ask: "How much did that set you back?"

What's the damage? = How much is it?

5. It was expensive, but I was OK paying it.
It was worth it.
It was well worth the price.
----------------------------------
6. Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your advice.

I hope you can appreciate my position.

7. I appreciate your feelings, but you can't do that. 

8. I bought the house 10 years ago, and it has appreciated in value.
The yen appreciated against the dollar.

to appreciate = to gain value
<--> to depreciate = to lose value.

9. a bit
a) I am a bit tired.
b) I am a bit hungry.
X c) I am a bit happy.

a bit + negative adjective

I'm a bit angry/sad/short.

10. bite bit bitten
I was bitten by a dog. 
A dog bit me.
His bark is worse than his bite.

PART - 2
11. He panicked.
He was frantic.

12. I accidently locked myself out of my car.
       I inadvertently locked myself out of my car.
       I locked myself out of my car by accident.

13. silly
A: Thank you so much. 
B: Oh, don't be silly.
silly < ridiculous < absurd

14. He died. He passed away.
The deceased = 故人
diseased = 病気の

15. reputable=having a good reputation
He is a reputable doctor.
I run a reputable business.
16. a very small = a pebble
I got a pebble in my shoe.
17. 一石二鳥。To kill two birds with one stone.
I'm stuck in between a ~ and a hard place.
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.    
ガラスの家に住む者は石を投げてはならない
18. a boulder = a really big rock




No comments:

Post a Comment