Tuesday, September 10, 2013

(会員)英会話ライブレッスン 2013年9月10日(火)Sport idioms-2

(会員)英会話ライブレッスン 2013年9月10日(火)Sport idioms-2


1. to come out swinging 
He came out swinging.

2. by a nose / by a hair
He won by a nose.

3. save by the bell
I was saved by the bell.

4. to roll with the punches
In life you have to remember to roll with the punches.

5. pull one's punches 
The gloves are off.
He didn't pull his punches.
Please tell me the truth. Don't pull any punches.

6. It's par for the course.= It's not surprising.
Sometimes students quit. It's par for the course.

7. first base = a kiss
I got to first base with her.

second base = touching breasts
I got to second base with her.

third base = touching ... down there
I went to third base with her.

a home run = sex
He hit a home run with her.


8. He is batting a thousand.
He always succeeds. He is very successful.

9. to play hardball = to play tough
9. to play hardball = to be tough, strict, very serious and aggressive

10. to touch base with sb

11. I'm sorry. It was my fault. I dropped the ball.

12. He is on the ball. = He is alert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment