Tuesday, September 10, 2013

(公開)「おもてなし」は英語で?デイリー英語 Sept 9, 2013 BONUS


(公開)「おもてなし」は英語で?デイリー英語 Sept 9, 2013 BONUS


Sport Idioms:
The Olympics 
1. I want to see the games.

2. to play (a game)
I play soccer/tennis/chess.
I bowled.
I skied.  I snowboarded.  I ran.  I swam.  I jogged.

3. martial arts:
to do karate/aikido/ judo
He does/practices ~.

Boxing idioms
4. to show sb the ropes
Could you show me the ropes.
Thanks for showing me the ropes.

5. to throw in the towel
After 10 years in business they're finally throwing in the towel.

6. The gloves are off! = no mercy

7. I'm in your corner. = I'm on your side.

8. to hit below the belt = to do st that is unacceptable
That comment was below the belt.
You can't say that to him! That's hitting below the belt!



BASEBALL IDIOMS
9. She is out of my league.

10. a ballpark
Gimme a ballpark.
Give me a ballpark figure/number.

11. to play ball = to cooperate
Are you going to play ball?

12. to hit a homerun = to be very successful
Apple hit a homerun with the iPad.

13. to strike out = to fail
I tried asking her out, but I struck out.

No comments:

Post a Comment