Friday, August 26, 2016

(会員)2016年8月26日 Friday. Night - Beginner Random Lesson

(会員)2016年8月26日 Friday. Night - Beginner Random Lesson
1. borrow / lend / rent

A: Can I borrow some money? 
B: Sure, how much? 

You borrowed $100 from me last week, so now you owe me $100.

You owe me. = I helped you but I won’t forget and I expect you to help me some day.

Can I borrow Shingo for a minute?

2. The opposite of “borrow” is “lend”.
Can I borrow $100? = Can you lend me $100.

3. What is the difference between “lend” and “rent”?
Rent means to pay money.
yachin = rent    ,   
I have to pay the rent.
I do own my house. I rent it. 
4. I’m renting my apartment. = I’m renting my flat.
Can you lend me $100. 
X Can you rent me $100.   
X Can you borrow me $100. 

5. apartment = flat
I am flat broke. = NO money
I am broke. = Actually I have about 50,000 yen.
He has a flat stomach/abs.
She is flat-chested.
completely, absolutely = flat
That is flat out crazy.

She flat out said no.
You flat-out lied to me!

I asked her to marry me, but she turned me down flat.

6. “absolutely” vs. “definitely”
definitely = cold decision, not opinion. Just facts.

absolutely = used with emotion and passion.

A: Are you going to the party? 
B1: Yes, I’m definitely going. 
B2: Absolutely!

You look [absolutely / definitely] beautiful.

Dave Spector’s Japanese is definitely better than mine.

Idiom: He is much better than me. = I cannot hold a candle to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment