Monday, February 16, 2015

(公開) 2015年2月16日(月曜日)Useful idioms

(公開) 2015年2月16日(月曜日)Useful idioms

1. I am not feeling well. = I am under the weather.
    I am not feeling well. = I'm a bit under the weather.

2. I am busy after class. = I have ~ after class.
I am busy. I have plans. I have a previous ~.
Answer: engagement

3. I will join you next time.= I’ll take a ~.
Answer: raincheck

4. That was easy. = That was a ~. (3 words)
Answer: piece of cake

5. It cannot be helped. = That’s life.,  What are you going to do.,
That’s the way the ball bounces., = That’s the way the cookie crumbles. 

6. 習うよりなれる。 = Practice makes perfect.

7. No pain, no gain.

8. Don't judge a ~by its ~.
book / cover
You can't judge a book by its cover. = 見掛けで判断してはいけません

9. I don’t yet. I have not decided yet. = It’s still up ~.  (3 words)
Answer: up in the air.

10. I have decided to quit smoking. I will stop smoking completely today.
= I am quitting cold turkey.

11. 切れた! He lost it! He snapped! He has a meltdown.

12. Get to the point. = Cut to the chase.
Let me get to the chase. + YOUR POINT!
Could you please cut to the chase!

13. 元気だして! Chin up! or Keep your chin up!

No comments:

Post a Comment