Sunday, September 3, 2017

Sept. 3rd (Sunday) 23:00 English Lesson (Members Only)

Nico - Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017

Sept. 3rd (Sunday) 23:00 English Lesson (Members Only)

“Papa Was a Rollin' Stone” by
The Temptations

a rolling stone = sb who just keeps moving

誘惑 = a temptation

to tempt sb = to make sb want to do sb

Ex: I was tempted to VERB.
I was tempted to quit my job.

They had a dry spell in the 1970s.

1. It was the third of September. 
2. That day I'll always remember, yes I will 
3. ‘Cause that was the day that my daddy died. 
4. I never got a chance to see him
5. Never heard nothin' but bad things about him

DOUBLE NEGATIVE!


6. Momma I'm depending on you to tell me the truth

7. Momma just hung her head and said, son

to hang one’s head = to show shame by putting one’s head down

8. Papa was a rolling stone


9. Wherever he laid his hat was his home

10. And when he died, all he left us was alone

When my father died, he left me his house and about 40,000 dollars.

遺産  inheritance

What did he leave you?

11. Papa was a rolling stone (my son, yeah)
12. Wherever he laid his hat was his home
13. And when he died, all he left us was alone
14. Hey Momma!
15. Is it true what they say that Papa never worked a day in his life

He never worked a day in his life.

16. And Momma, some bad talk goin' round town sayin' that

17. Papa had three outside children


18. And another wife, and that ain't right

19. Heard some talk Papa doing some storefront preachin' 

to preach = to talk to people about Jesus and God

hypocritical = describing sb who says one thing but does something different.

a hypocrite = a person who recommends you do st, but doesn’t do what he recommends

20. Talking about saving souls and all the time leechin'

to leech off sb = to take from sb
He is a leech. / He is leeching off his parents.

21. Dealing in dirt, and stealing in the name of the Lord

——
22. Hey Momma.  I heard Papa called himself a jack-of-all-trades
a jack-of-all-trades = sb who can do many different jobs

23. Tell me is that what sent Papa to an early grave
Ex: Smoking sent him to an early grave.

24. Folks say Papa would beg, borrow, steal
To pay his bills

25. Hey Momma 
Folks say Papa never was much on thinking
Spent most of his time chasing women and drinking

No comments:

Post a Comment