Sunday, September 3, 2017

Sept. 1st (Friday) 23:00 English Lesson (Members Only)

Sept. 1st (Friday) 23:00 English Lesson (Members Only)

1. What is the difference between “wish” and “hope”?
“Wish” is used for set phrase and impossible situations.

I wish I could fly.  

I wish I was rich.

“Hope” is used for possible situations.

Ex: I hope it doesn’t rain tomorrow.

I hope I pass the test.

I hope you get well soon.

2. I could use … + NOUN.

Ex: I could use a vacation., I could use a beer.

You look tired. You look like you could use some sleep.

I could use a break.

3. You are better off Ving.  

You are better off with N.

Ex:  You should stop smoking.  = やめたほうがいい。

I have a used car.  My car has broken down.

It will cost a lot of money to fix my used car.   

You are better off buying a new car.

It would be a waste of money to fix the old car. You are better off buying a new car.

You’re better off not fixing the car.

a) He was better off not saying anything.    

b) He shouldn’t have said anything.

4. You cannot compare (A) and (B). = It’s apples and oranges.

5. He is very similar to his father. =

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

6. You are wasting your time talking to me about that. = You are barking up the wrong tree.

7. He talks a lot, but he doesn’t do much. His bark is worse than his bite.

8. I really wanted to say something, but I decided I was better off biting my tongue.

to bite one's tongue = to not say anything especially when you want to

9. Why don’t you answer me. = Cat got your tongue?

10. I’m really surprised at who just came into the room. = Look what the cat dragged in.





















No comments:

Post a Comment