Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nico Nico Douga Mixed Class - April 17, 2011

Nico Nico Douga Mixed Class
April 17, 2011

Standard:
She was operated on.
Maggie had an operation.
Maggie got an operation. (casual English)
Maggie had surgery. (standard English)

She went under the knife.
(Idiom: to go under the knife)

Maggie got fixed. (避妊した)
She had her uterus removed.

a uterus, a womb: 子宮

He was castrated.
(虚勢)

The baby gets food throught the umbilical cord.
へその緒=umbilical cord

Doctors removed her ~.
Maggie had her ~ removed.

She was put under anesthesia.
麻酔= anesthesia

She was put under general anesthesia.
全身麻酔=general anesthesia

She was put under a local anesthesia.
a local anesthesia=局所麻酔

She got stitches.
They gave her stitches.

stitches=縫合糸

I took her to the clinic at 9am.
to take sb to + a place=連れて行く

I handed her (over) to the doctor.
to hand st over to sb=渡す

Maggie is used to strangers
to be used to=慣れている
So she was fine.

I worried. I was worried.

be worried=心配していた

Is fixing your dog a fairly normal thing to do in the U.S.?

We decided to go to Denny's and kill some time.
to kill some time=時間をつぶす

When we left Denny's I noticed a couple arguing.

Pattern:
SUBJECT VERB NOUN VERBING

I noticed a man standing on the corner.
I heard a dog barking.
I saw a girl talking to a man.
I saw the man hit the girl.
I saw the man hitting the girl.

I got angry!

僕だったらどうする?
What would you do if you were me?

I would call the police.
I would report him to the police.

That's what I should have done.

Q. What were you doing?
A. I was walking.

Q. What did you do?
A. He was dragging her to a car.

So I decided to stop the man.
I grabbed him.
I put him in a headlock.
Guess what happened next.
She jumped on me.

It was an anti-climactic ending.
lover's spat=痴話げんか

It was quite humorous in retrospect.

an anecdote=逸話

She has to take it easy for 2 weeks.
She can't get her bandages wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment