Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nico Nico Douga – Sept. 26, 2011 - Beginner’s Class

Nico Nico Douga – Sept. 26, 2011

Beginner’s Class

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1317168448

When do we use present tense?
1. Do you drive? vs. 2. Are you driving?
Use present tense to describe HABIT 習慣 & ability.
Do you play tennis?
Yes, I play. (About once a week.)
Well, I can play tennis, but I don't.
I used to play tennis, but I don't anymore.
Do you play any instrument?
Do you speak English?
I live in Nagoya.
What does it mean to say, “I am living in Nagoya.”
It means this is temporary or new.

Do you like 〜?
Do you think 〜?

BUT we can use “liking” and “thinking” in special cases.
A new teacher came to your school last week.
At first, you didn't like him.
I’m starting to like that new teacher.
I’m liking that new teacher.

A: What are you going to do this weekend?
B: I think I’ll go to the beach.
I’m thinking of going to the beach.
I’m thinking I like that new teacher.

Using present continuous 〜ing.
How are you doing?
How is it going?
What's going on?
How's it hanging?
How are you enjoying your job?
How are you enjoying your vacation?
I feel sick. vs. I'm feeling sick.
I just lost my train of thought.

Don't be V-ing. vs. Don’t verb.

Don't be using my computer when I'm not home. = Don't use my computer when I'm not home.
Don't be talking to me like that.
Don't be looking at me like that.
What is the difference between A and B?
I have gone to Hawaii. I have been to Hawaii. I went to Hawaii.

Q: Would you like to have dinner with us?
A: No, thanks. I've eaten.

Have you ever eaten INAGO?
Yes, I have eaten INAGO.

I ate too much.
He's gone to lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment