Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sept. 7, 2011 - Int-Adv.

Sept. 7, 2011 - Int-Adv.

Today while reading the newspaper I read an article that called what Shinsuke Shimada said a barefaced lie.
This has inspired today's lesson. We usually say:
a barefaced lie
We also say:
a bald-faced lie
and
a bald-faced liar
and
a barefaced liar

bare=(形容詞) naked/nude/裸

Example uses:
I killed him with my bare hands.
bare hands = no gloves, no weapons, no tools.

bare feet = no shoes
He was walking down the street in his bare feet.
No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Give me the bare facts.

He bared himself to the world.

Be careful! Do not confuse, "bare" and "bear".
I can't bear it anymore.

Here are a list of idioms having to do with LYING!

1. a barefaced liar
Someone who lies easily, with a total lack of shame, is called a
 barefaced liar. 
 "That barefaced liar stole my watch and said he'd found it!"

2. to be on the level=to be telling the truth
Are you on the level?
I think he's on the level.
If you say that somebody is on the level, you are referring to a truthful 
 and honest person.
 "Tell me straight : Is he on the level on not?"

3. to live a lie
If you spend your life hiding something important about yourself, 
 or inventing something which is not true, you live a lie.
 "To hide his humble origins, he told his wife he had no family and 
 spent his life living a lie."
I've been living a lie!

4. to be full of it. / to be full of shit / to be full of bs / to be full of baloney
Full Of It ( this person says things which are not true; a liar ... )
Your full of it.
You're so full of shit, your eyes are brown.

5. to stretch the truth
When you stretch the truth you exaggerate the facts or say things 
 that are not exactly true.

Some candidates are tempted to stretch the truth about their skills or work experience.

6. to bend the truth
If you bend the truth, you say something that is not entirely true.
 "OK, I bent the truth a bit; I told him it was my natural color, but I didn't say that my hairdresser helped me to keep it natural!"
He likes bending/stretching the truth.

7. a pack of lies
A large number of untruthful statements is referred to as a pack of lies.
 "The story about her unhappy childhood turned out to be a pack of lies."

a pack of wolves/dogs/teenager/lies

It was all just a pack of lies.

8. a smokescreen
A smokescreen is an action or tactic intended to conceal or divert
 attention from your real intentions or activities.
 "His travel business was just a smokescreen for his political activities."

9. to be economical about the truth
economical = efficient about time or money
He is economical with the truth. = He doesn't tell everything he knows.
To say that a person is economical with the truth means that, without
 actually lying, they omit important facts or give incomplete information.
 "The politician was accused of being economical with the truth."

He left out some important information.

No comments:

Post a Comment