Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sept. 8, 2011 - Thursday - Mixed Class

Essential English
essential = necessary

1. afford
お金の余裕
I want a new camera, but I can’t afford one.
I would like to join a gym, but I can’t afford the time.

I can’t afford to lose my job.
I can’t afford to get/be arrested.
I want to go to Hawaii but I can’t afford the plane tickets.
She can't afford to gain weight.
I can’t afford to get divorced.
I can’t afford to fail the test.
I can’t afford to lose the game.

I have a lot of information.
I don't have much information.
I can’t afford to make a mistake.

不倫する
to have an affair
to have a fling
It was just a fling.
Old age is creeping up on me.
Age is creeping up on sb.

It was a breeze.=It was easy.
to shoot the breeze
We were just shooting the breeze.
We were just shooting the breeze.

Time prepositions
1. I waited for him ~ an hour.
for
2. I have been working here ~ 3 years.
for
3. I have been working here ~ 1999.
since
4. I can’t talk now, but I can talk ~ an hour.
in
5. I can’t talk now, but I can talk ~ the party.
after

6a. I haven’t seen him ~ a month.
6b. I haven’t seen him for over a month.
for / in

7. ~ you get angry, please listen to what I have to say.

8. I went to bed ~ I took a shower.
after

9. I have not seen him ~ 1999.
since
10. I have not seen him ~ the party.
since

11. I have not seen him ~ yesterday.
since

No comments:

Post a Comment