Sunday, January 27, 2013

(会員)1月27日 (日曜日) 11pm 初級 take idioms part 2

(会員)1月27日 (日曜日) 11pm 初級 take idioms part 2


Do you notice anything different about me? 
to take sb seriously = to not think sb is joking

I shaved, and I got a haircut.
Today I went to a very old fashioned and traditional barbershop.

to take sb out: a) date, b) knock out or paralyze, c) kill
Let me take out for dinner?
If you take out their leader, they will all give up.
Obama took out Osama.

to take st out = 〜を出す
I need to take out some money.
I took out a loan with UFJ. = I borrowed money.

to take out the trash: to put out a garbage of bag for the garbage man to pick up
to take out the cat

to take sb out: a) date, b) knock out or paralyze, c) kill
Let me take out for dinner?
If you take out their leader, they will all give up.

The terrorists took out the power plant.

Obama took out Osama.


take in = see; visit.  
I plan to take in a few tourist sights like Kyomizudera when I visit Kyoto tomorrow.
I took in a movie yesterday afternoon.
You should take in a show.
You should take in a musical.
You should take in some of the sights.
I just want to walk around and take in the atmosphere.



take off = leave; go away.                  What time does your plane /flight take off?
                                    Oh, my God! Look at the time! It's so late! I better take off!

take off = succeed               Recently business is really starting to take off!

take out = food that you buy from a restaurant and bring home.
Let's stop at Lee's takeout place and get some Kung Pao chicken.
I eat take out everyday.
I grabbed some takeout at the convenience store.

Staff: Will that be for here or to go?
You: That's for here.   or    To go.
Excuse me, waitress. I can't finish this. Could I have a doggy bag?


take up = to start a sport or an activity.
I wanted to lose weight so I took up jogging.    
I took up the guitar when I was in high school.
He took up drinking after his wife died.

No comments:

Post a Comment