Monday, March 23, 2009

ニコニコ動画 Monday Class, March 23, 2009

Must know slang:
"piss" has 3 meanings
1) おしっこ=pee, urine
Examples:
The dog pissed on the tree. (動詞)
I have to piss. (動詞)
I stepped in piss. (名詞)
2) 怒っている=angry、まd
Examples:
I am pissed.
I am pissed off.
She really pissed me off
I'm p.o.'d. (short for: I'm pissed off.)
3) 酔っている=drunk
He is pissed.
----------------------------
Speaking of "drunk".
----------------------------
a) I'm a little drunk. = I'm tipsy.
b) I'm really drunk. = I'm trashed.
----------------------------
Speaking of "trash".
----------------------------
Someone or something that is of very low quality is considered "trash".
Examples:
That movie was trash.
That magazine is trash.
That criminal is trash.
a crime: 犯罪
a criminal =犯罪者
--------------------------------
Speaking of criminals:
--------------------------------
Vocabulary:
the death penalty=死刑
to sentence sb to death: 死刑を宣告する、死刑判決を下す
to sentence a murderer to death: 殺人者を死刑に処する
to sentence sb to life imprisonment: 終身刑を宣告する
life imprisonment: 終身刑.
Example:
He got life. = He got life imprisonment.
to be sentenced to ten years at [of] hard labor: 重労働10年を申し渡される.

Last Wednesday a Nagoya court sentences 2 men to death and a third to life imprisonment for killing a woman.

A court sentenced 2 men to death.

to turn oneself in: 自首する
The third man turned himself into the police.

厳しい=strict
反対語=opposite
What is the opposite of "strict"?
lenient (形容詞): 寛大な
leniency: 寛大さ
There is no room for leniency=情状酌量の余地はない。
He got leniency. = That means the court went easy on him.
Take it easy on me.
Go easy on him.
-----------------------------------
The airplane accident.
-----------------------------------
An airplane crashed today.
An airplane crashed today.
The pilot and copilot died in the accident.
犠牲者=victims
My condolences.
I'm sorry for your loss.

----------------------------------------------
Baseball Game: Japan v.s. USA
-----------------------------------------------
Japan beat the USA today.
The USA lost to Japan.
Japan trained harder than the USA.
Japan has a good chance of winning.
Who are you rooting for?
to root for sb= 応援する

No comments:

Post a Comment