Wednesday, March 25, 2009

ニコニコ動画 Wednesday Class, March 25, 2009

Basic Translation Mistakes!
---------------------------

Translate the following:
1. パーティーに参加しますか?

---------
Answer:
---------
1. Are you going to the party?
Typical Mistake:
X Are you joining the party.
a) "join"は決まっているグループと一緒に使う.
Example:
When did you join the company?
Are you going to join the club?
Ichiro joined the Mariners.

b) "join"は人間と一緒に使う。
Example:
Would you like to join us for dinner?
Do you mind if I join you?

2. 今度のパーティーに行けません。
2. I'm not going to be able to go to the party.
I'm not going to make the party.

3. 今日駄目です。約束が入っているんだ。
3. I can't today. I already have plans.

NOTE: plans is usually plural (複数)
--------------------
MAKE IDIOMS!
--------------------
1. I made a mistake.
2. She made me mad!
3. Don't make me go!
4. I made lunch.
5. I made up my mind.
6. He made the bed.
7. You made my day!
These flowers really make this room.
That song really made the movie.
8. We made it! = We succeeded!
9. I don't think I'm going to make my train.
Are you going to make your plane?
10. The cops made him! = He's been made.
= They identified him or recognized him.

-----------
News
-----------
Japan opposition leader's aide indicted in scandal
to indict sb: 人を非難する、起訴する、告訴する、告発する

Hawker's family hopes Japan will eliminate statute of limitations
a statute of limitations: 時効

No comments:

Post a Comment