Sunday, March 17, 2013

2013年3月17日(日)23:00 英会話ライブレッスン(Mix Level)


2013年3月17日(日)23:00 英会話ライブレッスン(Mix Level)

Mixed Levels!

1. 終わった
I'm finished.  
I'm done. 
I'm through.
It's over.  
X I'm over. 
X It's through.  
It's done/finished. 

You're finished / done / through.
We're finished / done / through.
Are you finished / done / through?
Are you over?

2. to end up
end up = to do st finally in the end that you did not plan
I was going to go to the movies, but I got sick, so I ended up staying home.

In our last class, we talked about "condition" and the use.
3. He is in good shape.
Your grammar is in good shape.
Your business is in good shape.
My marriage is in good shape.

My car is in good condition. It's in almost new condition. It's in mint condition.

4. contribute vs. donate
He has a contributed a lot to this company.
Thanks for your contribution. 
He donated a $100 to the charity.
He donated a new wing to the hospital.
a hospital wing = 病院のウイング
He donated blood.
He donated his liver to his sister.

5. to wing st = to do st with no preparation, 即興でやる
A: Our guest speaker cancelled. Can you step in for him?
B: Well, I don't have anything prepared, but I could wing it.

6.  to prepare = to get ready = to gear up
Are you prepared?
Are you ready? 
Are you prepared / ready for class?

I have to prepare. 
I have to get ready.
I have to gear up for the seminar.
The town is gearing up for the festival. 


7. a difference
What is the difference __________ (A) and (B).
I don't _______ the difference.
I don't see the difference.
I can't ________ the difference.
I don't/can't see the difference.
X I don't tell the difference.
There's a difference between (A) and (B).
There's a difference between Aさん's story and Bさん's story.
There's a discrepancy between Aさん's story and Bさん's story.
There's a discrepancy between their stories.
食い違い a discrepancy

8. どわすれ
~ slipped my mind.
It completely slipped my mind.
I lost my train of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment