Sunday, October 16, 2011

(会員) ニコニコ Mixed 英会話 Class - Oct. 16, 2011

Oct. 16, 2011
Useful
旅行
I went on a trip.
I want to travel abroad.
I went on a trip last week.
I just came back from a trip.
I took a trip around the world.
She's not in. She's on a trip.
She went on a business trip.
She is on a business trip.
She just came back from (a trip to) Hokkaido.
I just got back this morning.

Now some NEWS HEADLINES:

1. Robert Downey Jr. Asks Hollywood to Forgive Mel Gibson
(A) asks (B) to VERB.
I want you to forgive him.
X Can I have a question?
Can I ask a question?

2.
Foreign companies hit as Thai floods curb production
to curb st = to slow st down
It rained a lot in Thailand.
The rain caused flooding.
There have been floods in Thailand.
The floods have shut down factories.
Companies have had to suspend work.
to stop to shut down to suspend to halt to disrupt
Production at many factories in Thailand has been disrupted.

3. AirTran Airways will soon require obese passengers to buy two seats if they can't fit into one.
to require = to make
They will require fat passengers to buy 2 seats.

4. Actress Chiemi Hori getting married for 3rd time
Do you know any expressions using the word "three"?

Third time's the charm. = The third time you do something it will work.
お邪魔虫=a third wheel, a fifth wheel
I don't want to be a third wheel.
Two is company, (but) three's a crowd.

~について(人)を問い詰める=to give somebody the third degree
Why are you giving me the third degree?
Stop giving him the third degree.
to be in the hot seat
He suffered third degree burns.
-----------------------------
目まぐるしい[てんやわんやの]状況=a three ring circus

酔っ払っている=to be three sheets to the wind
He's 3 sheets to the wind.

Three strikes and you are out.

Three squares a day.

the three R's

実在しないもの / fake = That's as fake as a 3 dollar bill.

TOASTED BAGEL WITH A SMEAR OF CREAM CHEESE

a smear campaign = 中傷合戦

No comments:

Post a Comment