Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Nico Nico Douga - Monday, Oct. 8, 2011

Nico Nico Douga - Monday, Oct. 8, 2011
Useful family expressions:
1. the black sheep of the family:
the worst or strangest person in a family
Ex: I'm the black sheep of the family

2. to be tight: to be very close
Ex: Me and my sister are really tight.
Ex: My sister and I are really tight.
She is surprisingly not very tight with her mother.

3. to grow apart: to be less and less close
Ex: My brother and grew apart.
Ex: My parents grew apart and got divorced.

4. He's a bad influence.= He's a bad apple.

4. to be divorced: describes a situation
to be married: describes a situation
Ex: She is divorced.
Ex: She is married.

6. to get divorced: describes an action
to get married: describes an action
Ex: She got divorced.
Ex: She and Tom got divorced.
Ex: She got married.
Ex: She and Tom got married.

Other idioms for relationships?

7. to be on the rocks: describing a relationship that is not going well
Ex: Our marriage is on the rocks.

8. to have a falling out: when 2 people have a big fight and things are permanently bad between them
Ex: We used to be friends, but we had a falling out.

9. to wear the pants: to be the head of the family
Ex: Who's wears the pants in your family? = Who is the boss in your family?
Ex: Who's the head of the household?

10. to be the man of the house
Ex: Son, when I’m gone, you’ll be the man of the house.
I am going to be transferred.

11. He is a hard worker. = He is diligent.
He works like a horse.
He works like a dog.
He breaks his back at the office everyday.

12. She makes all the money for the family.=She is the bread-winner.

13. He brings home the bacon.

14. He puts food on the table.

15. He makes a good salary.

16. Q: Do you like your job?
A: It pays the bills.

17. I’m having trouble making ends meet.

18. Join the club. = Me too.

I broke a tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment