Wednesday, December 19, 2012

(会員)12月11日 (火曜日) MIXED - Snow idioms



1. as white as snow = very VERY white

She has skin as white as snow.
Her skin was as white as know.

2. She was as pure as the driven snow.
She was as pure as the driven snow. = She is pure and chaste.
<--> promiscuous
Ken was notoriusly promiscuous.
notoriously = 悪名

3. as white as a ghost = white because sb is scared
He was as white as a ghost.

4. as white as a sheet = white because of shock/surprise
She turned as white as a sheet when I told her her dog had died.

5. to be snowed in
It snowed so much that I was afraid I would get snowed in.
We always have food prepared just in case we get snowed in.
I’m snowed in! = I’m trapped! I can’t go anywhere because of the snow.

The blizzard snowed us in.
a blizzard = a snow storm

6. to be snowed under = overworked, VERY busy
I always get snowed under in April.

7. a snow job = a plan to fool or deceive sb
He is trying to do a snow job on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment